Friday, June 12, 2009

Crossing the Rubicon


Yes, my favorite musical guilty pleasure, the Sounds, is out with their new album "Crossing the Rubicon". Now I can fill my warped brain with new swedish pop hooks and synth beats.

"Crossing the Rubicon" is a stark departure from their previous two albums "Living in America" (2002) and "Dying to Say This to You" (2006). The two albums prior to "Rubicon" can be described as: catchy, naughty, arrogant, bold, addictive, perverse, profaine, snarky, cheeky, fun, and (again) addictive. Although I won't let my daughters listen to a few of their songs, the Sounds style of play is always a pick-me-up. However, the Sounds seem to have grown out of their never-let-the-party-end attitude with this new album. If "Living in America" was the build up to the party, "Dying to Say This to You" was the riot at the disco, now "Rubicon" is the drive home with the windows down with your friend's head on your shoulder.

It seems that once a band has reached a level of notoriety, they tend to become nostalgic and reflective of their career and what has brought them thus far. The Bouncing Souls have made a name for themselves in this manner. The Sounds fall into this schtick with "Rubicon". Like I said, its not as brash as their previous two albums, but they maintain their pop sensibility. Strong singles from the album include "No One Sleeps When I'm Awake", "My Lover", "4 Songs and a Fight", and "Midnight Sun". They get a little too reminescent with "Home Is Where Your Heart Is" and "Underground" which are a bit kitsch.

All in all, the album is a decent effort. I do miss the "finger in the air" attitude that was evident on the last two albums. Its a good pop CD. And finally suitable for my daughters to listen to.

No comments: