This year's mix-tape (CD) to Amber for our 15th wedding anniversary has a theme. One of Amber's favorite genres of music is from the 80's. She really digs synth-pop acts like Erasure, Depeche Mode, or stuff you'd find off of the Napoleon Dynamite soundtrack. I like to think it's a Preston, Idaho thing. And that's cool. I like a lot of that stuff too. Its just seems that those Prestonians really know their obscure 80's synth-pop. My knowledge isn't as vast. Amber has long given up the frizzy hair and poofy sleeves, but the good taste in music remains. Here is the list:
1. Private Idaho by the B-52's: We're both Idaho natives. There you go.
2. A Little Respect by Erasure: Amber likes this group. I think the guy sings funny.
3. She Drives by Crazy by Fine Young Cannibals: No, she doesn't really drive me crazy. She'll say she does. Perplexed at times, yes. Crazy, no.
4. One Night in Bangkok by Murray Head: Never been there, but we love Thai food. I'm sure this song isn't about food, but chess or drag queens. I don't know. Good to see a guy named Murray with a hit.
5. Can't Stand Losing You by The Police: I wasn't gonna put "Roxanne" or "Every Breath You Take" on here, so this is my best choice. Maybe I should have put on "King of Pain". No, Amber would have read to much into that.
6. Never Tear Us Apart by INXS: Ah, a love song. So sweet.
7. What is Love? by Howard Jones: Classic 80's synth-pop with synth-hair. Amber is a big fan.
8. Halo by Depeche Mode: The first conversation I ever had with Amber was about Depeche Mode. Technically this song came out in 1990, but we know Depeche Mode as an 80's group. I believe the "Violator" album is responsible for a quarter of all births between 1990 and 1992.
9. If You Were Here by The Thompson Twins: Oh, how I love this song. Can you name the film it stared in? I'm sure many of us that grew up in that era has some memory linked to this song.
10. I Just Called to Say I Love You by Stevie Wonder: Fact #1: I did once call Amber's phone when we were dating and sang this song on her answering machine. Fact #2: She still has the recording. Fact #3: You will never hear it.
Stay tuned to for next year's mix!