Saturday, July 26, 2008

Who Listens to Bryan Scary and the Shredding Tears?


Sometimes I devour new music too quickly only to regret wasting my money later. However, there are time that I buy music and let it sit until I come back to it later only for it to taste really good. This is one of those times.

Last year I was introduced to Bryan Scary and the Shredding Tears on my friend Jen's website (http://www.jenxmusic.com/). Perhaps my best description of this band would be Frank Zappa meets John Lennon meets Ziggy Stardust meets the Rocky Horror Picture Show. I'm not going to attempt to critique their latest album, the Flight of the Knife, and all the highlights, because it is all one big highlight. You can't take it to spin class or just play it in the background in your cubicle at work. It takes active listening, because it sucks you in like an epic sci-fi movie (not in the Star Trek way, though). These guys are outstanding song writers and musicians. A must see live act.

So, what type of person listens to Bryan Scary and the Shredding Tears? People to really like Tim Burton movies, band geeks, drama class nerds, comic book guy, goth chicks, people who think Weird Al is a sell-out, boys without girlfriends, indie snobs, computer programmers, people with really strange laughs,... me. (although none of the above descriptions pertain to me... except the Tim Burton part)





disclaimer: Scary Larry is in no way related to Bryan Scary. He is only a fan.

No comments: