Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Straight Outta the Nasty 'Nati- Foxy Shazam!


The last couple of months I have experience some exciting new music. I've filled my ear canals with music from Julian Casablancas, Seasick Steve, Alkaline Trio, and Silversun Pickups. Another band about to hit heavy rotation on my iPod is Foxy Shazam. I mentioned them before back in October when I saw them open for the Sounds. This is what I wrote:

"The opening band was Foxy Shazam from Cincinnati (never heard of them when we live there). They were entertaining to say the least. I could only describe them as a mix between Bryan Scary and the Shredding Tears and a seizing hyena."

I stick by what I said. Now Foxy Shazam released their first major label album yesterday. They have been picked by Spin magazine as one of their top 10 bands to watch for this year. Where were these guys when I lived in Cincinnati? Was I constantly at the wrong place at the wrong time? Regardless, when Amber and I saw them in October, we found them extremely eccentric, hilariously funny, and a ton of fun.

To see and listen to Foxy Shazam, you need to pack away your musical biases and let lead singer Eric Nally take you for a journey (which in our case was a summer night in the Great Smokey Mountains realizing that someone stole our tent). Some say that Mr. Nally is an unholy hybrid of Freddy Mercury's charisma with the voice of Geddy Lee of Rush. There is a pianist that plays with his toes and a bass player named Daisy. Confused? Don't worry. Just buy the album, and by all and any means see them live.

No comments: