Friday, June 15, 2012

Sawtooth Relay 2012 in Retrospect



  • 1 am seemed like a rotten start time, until we witnessed the weather that later runners had to suffer through.
  • Running in the dark is fun, running in the dark in a dense fog is bizarre.
  • I predicted ghosts, skinwalkers, and bears.  I was wrong.
  • 21 kills (runners I passed) and 0 passed me.  Boom!
  • Race director at the start line has SERIOUS control issues
  • Little trouble with running at a higher altitude (than Ohio).  Of course I didn't have to run Galena pass.
  • Didn't see Sasquatch.  Kinda bummed.
  • Anyone with two functional legs can do the Sawtooth Relay regardless of body type or ability.  However, the fella with the untreated left knee ligament issue truly worried me.
  • I would like to, on behalf of Paul Dickinson, declare the fad of wearing tu-tu's during a race officially dead.  How 'bout some originality folks.
  • When running above 6500ft sea level, it's okay to stop and walk a minute.  Although, I didn't. =)
  • Say a prayer before a race.  It helps.
  • Weather report (in order): Cold, dense fog, clear skies, still cold, snow, sleet, hail, wind, more sleet, still cold, hail, thunder, lightning, general cold and wetness.
  • Paul and Jody Dickinson got the worst of the bad weather, but handled it better than any of us could.
  • I flew almost 2000miles to eat trout at the post-race meal. And it was good.
  • Dad was a saint for being a race volunteer
  • Dad bought us hot-chocolate, but couldn't find us on the course due to our poor phone reception.  So, some lucky team got free hot chocolate.
  • Mom stayed at home in Boise with five highly energetic little girls and she is still standing
  • Paul and Jody have a really nice van.  We are very grateful to them for allowing the team to use it.
  • There is no award for runners who traveled the farthest, but I think we would've won.
  • Don't eat Italian salami before a race.  Your team mates will thank you for it.
  • Antelope, elk, and deer are what we saw.  Unfortunately no bears.
  • Lots of beautiful mountain streams and rivers.  The water was so clear I would just stand and stare.
  • I could hear a mountain river beside me during my night run, but I couldn't see it.  But, it helped keep me focused.  
  • Amber always looks happy when running.  Is she crazy?
  • Brian was an inspiration running up Galena... backwards.
  • Jokingly, Brian "nosed" a runner he was passing on her right shoulder, but flubbed it hitting her with the brim of his hat.  That was a good laugh.
  • "Alice" the ultra-runner, who ran all 62 miles, was impressive.  Just as impressive were the ladies in her support van that functioned like NASCAR pit crew assisting her at each exchange point.
  • It helps to have people with similar tastes in music sharing a van.  Or at least no one outwardly complained when I played "Run to the Hills" by Iron Maiden over and over.
  • If you are a biker, watch out if Ev is driving.
  • Take a picture with your mind, because as many pics that with took, they don't do all the natural beauty justice.
  • Clean socks make a world of difference.
  • Some runners did not buy the correct size of running tights.  Some in unfortunate colors.
  • No joke, it took three miles for my toes not to feel frozen on my first run.
  • "I'm from Ohio.  Mountains are kind of a big deal."
  • Huckleberry soda pop.  I like it.
  • Medallions not medals? Okay.
  • Visited Ernest Hemingway's grave.  It was covered in pennies.  Does that mean it's good luck to throw pennies on graves?
  • Zero sleep in 36hours.  I probably wouldn't have been able to sleep between turns even if I tried.
  • Team Run-DMK translated: Team Run- Dickinson, McCullough, Keister


No comments: